[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
AFRO-NETS> Nutrition and Poverty
- Subject: AFRO-NETS> Nutrition and Poverty
- From: Claudio Schuftan <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 06:31:47 -0400 (EDT)
Nutrition and Poverty
I have just finished reading the report "Nutrition and Poverty" (Papers
from the ACC/SCN 24th Session Symposium, Kathmandu, March 1997), Nutri-
tion Policy Paper No.16, November 1997.
I think it is one of the best pieces on the matter written recently. I
highly recommend it to you.
It covers issues on:
- income + nutrition + infection and their relative weights;
- calorie-income relationships;
- effects of poverty on nutrition;
- child care and poverty;
- the South Asian puzzle (on why so much malnutrition in the subconti-
- 'income poverty' and 'capability poverty' (a real eye-opener);
- self-perception of poverty;
- rights, needs and gender issues as a basis for poverty alleviation;
- stunting as perhaps the best (outcome) indicator of poverty; and
- nutrition and the alleviation of absolute poverty.
The examples are very to the point and plentiful.
The monograph is available from the ACC/SCN at: <email@example.com>
Send mail for the `AFRO-NETS' conference to `firstname.lastname@example.org'.
Mail administrative requests to `email@example.com'.
For additional assistance, send mail to: `firstname.lastname@example.org'.