AFRO-NETS> Ministry of Health Web Sites

  • Subject: AFRO-NETS> Ministry of Health Web Sites
  • From: "Jeremy B. Clark" <jbclark@iafrica.com.na>
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 16:27:17 -0400 (EDT)

Ministry of Health Web Sites
----------------------------

Somewhat related to the recent thread regarding contact addresses for
Ministries of Health and possibly tied into the ongoing Staging Posts
thread, I am wondering which African Ministries of Health (and related-
ministries) have Web Sites.

Hey, I know, lots of people do not even have e-mail or have only-e-mail
WWW access. What on earth might a Ministry of Health be doing putting
up a Web site? If nothing else, the money/resources required for server
space, site development and maintenance, etc. could well be used for
service delivery, buying supplies, etc.

Over the past few weeks, while working at putting up a demonstration /
prototype Web site for the Ministry of Health and Social Services in
Namibia, I have visited some Ministry of Health Web sites, though I
have found none in Africa.

A Web page has a great potential to serve as a repository for informa-
tion, which could be useful for staff within a country (data, docu-
ments, news, announcements, etc.). Also such a page could be useful for
offering health/medical/safety-related information for potential visi-
tors/tourists. A page of links to other sites that have public health,
specific diseases, services, activities, etc. content, could be useful
for staff, the public, or other visitors.

Free Web space is quite widely available; certainly more so than List-
server services which could well be a better solution to providing
news, updates, announcements to Ministry staff.

So Namibia MoHSS is giving it a try. We have decided to keep it as sim-
ple as possible. The site is not official, and it is still very much
under development. We would hope eventually to site it on a server here
in Namibia, but, for now, in its experimental/demonstration stage, we
have put it up on a (free space) commercial server (in California!).

If other Ministries in Africa have Web sites, I would be happy to in-
clude them on the Links page. I would also be pleased to receive sug-
gestions about other links that might be added.

The site is: http://members.xoom.com/grnmhss

Jeremy B. Clark
Health Information Systems Advisor
P.O. Box 8600