AFRO-NETS> RFI: Human Rights Education in the Curricula (3)

  • Subject: AFRO-NETS> RFI: Human Rights Education in the Curricula (3)
  • From: "Dr. F. Bukachi" <f.bukachi@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 03:39:02 -0500 (EST)

RFI: Human Rights Education in the Curricula (3)

Raju,

Recently you asked...

> Hello Everyone!
> I was wondering.... does anybody know of, or have any contact with,
> anyone involved with Human Rights Education?

Yes, I share your concern. This subject, like Ethics and Peace studies
are virtually non-existent in medical schools in Africa. Yet, most doc-
tors working in this part of the world will readily admit treating pa-
tients with conditions arising from human rights abuses. A few years
ago the International Association of University Presidents/United Na-
tions Commission on Disarmament Education (IAUP/UN) began a program on
"Medicine and Peace" in Medical Schools around the world. Kenya, Zambia
and South Africa were the very first countries in the region to par-
ticipate in this venture. More information can be obtained from Prof.
Victor Sidel <vsidel@igc.apc.org>. Another key person who may assist
you is Dr. Firoze Manji <firoze@fahamu.org.uk>.

Good luck!

Fred Bukachi, MD