AFRO-NETS> Nigerians Claiming Cure for HIV/AIDS (5)

  • Subject: AFRO-NETS> Nigerians Claiming Cure for HIV/AIDS (5)
  • From: Charles Wambebe <wambebecharles@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 10:23:18 -0400 (EDT)

Nigerians Claiming Cure for HIV/AIDS (5)

Dear Dele,

I do not think that at this point we need external assessors. WHO has
clear guidelines for the development of safe and efficacious drugs
and vaccines as well as protocols for the clinical trials of such
ethical products. What is required at this time is for those who
claim to have curative vaccine or drug to approach the National
Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC), the
equivalent of US FDA. Such people will be properly advised. It is
then left to them to follow the acceptable procedures for the clini-
cal trials and possible future registration of such products. To my
knowledge, most of those claiming cures lack the patience required
for documenting scientific basis for their claims and appear not to
be keen on following the approved procedures.

Prof. Charles Wambebe FAS,
Director-General/Chief Executive
National Institute for Pharmaceutical Research and Development
Abuja, Nigeria
mailto:wambebecharles@hotmail.com

For additional assistance, send mail to: `owner-afro-nets@usa.healthnet.org'.