[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
AFRO-NETS> Announcement - Gender, Science and Technology Gateway
- Subject: AFRO-NETS> Announcement - Gender, Science and Technology Gateway
- From: Sophia Huyer <email@example.com>
- Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 00:33:17 -0500 (EST)
Announcement - Gender, Science and Technology Gateway
The UNESCO/GAB Policy Toolkit on Gender Indicators in Engineering,
Science and Technology is now available on the Gender, Science and
The purpose of the Toolkit is to promote the collection of gender
disaggregated data in scientific and technological activities for na-
tional and international policy. At the same time it is intended to
pro-mote a common approach and coordinated methods to ensure the sys-
tematic collection of gender-disaggregated data on science and tech-
nology. Along the way, a snapshot is provided of the participation of
women in S&T in general, both in industrialised and industrialising
countries. A clearer under-standing of the national and international
patterns of women's participation in scientific and technological ac-
tivities and the potential role they can play, it is hoped, will con-
vince policy makers of the value of mobilising the contributions
women can make to national development.
Included are sections on:
- why data in S&T should be disaggregated for gender;
- a survey of women's contributions to science and technology for de-
- key issues concerning women's participation in engineering, science
- a survey of international guidelines and practices in collecting
and analysing data in S&T; and
- a collection of case studies and models for collecting gender-
disaggregated data in S&T and developing gender indicators.
Table of Contents:
1. Introductory Overview: Gender Indicators for EST
2. The Leaky Pipeline: Gender Issues in Engineering, Science and
3. Measuring Science And Technology Activities: Principal Interna-
4. Measuring Science And Technology Personnel: Measurements and Clas-
5. Collecting Gender-Disaggregated Data: Case Studies and Models
The Toolkit is available on the Gender, Science and Technology Gate-
A paper copy will be produced in the near future.
For more information, or to request a paper copy of the Toolkit, con-
To subscribe to the GST Gateway Announcement List, send a message to
with subscribe in the SUBJECT line of your message.
Women in Global Science and Technology
and Once and Future Action Network
623 Brimley Road
Grafton, Ontario K0K 2G0, Canada
Send mail for the `AFRO-NETS' conference to `firstname.lastname@example.org'.
Mail administrative requests to `email@example.com'.
For additional assistance, send mail to: `firstname.lastname@example.org'.