AFRO-NETS> World Health Report: Years of Healthy Life... (2)

  • Subject: AFRO-NETS> World Health Report: Years of Healthy Life... (2)
  • From: Claudio Schuftan <aviva@netnam.vn>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 07:42:12 -0500 (EST)

World Health Report: Years of Healthy Life... (2)

Original message from: Gunnar Bjune <g.a.bjune@samfunnsmed.uio.no>

I read with great interest your summary of how life expectancy could
be increased by simple interventions. Particularly I appreciated that
micronutients were mentioned specifically. For iron supplementation
practical interventions are mentioned. However for zinc - and proba-
bly equally important selenium - no recommendations are mentioned.
Could anybody, please, give me a hint how simple and cheap interven-
tions could be done for these two deficiencies?

Thank you in advance.

Gunnar Bjune
Professor of International Health
University of Oslo