AFRO-NETS> Tribute to Olikoye Ransome Kuti

  • Subject: AFRO-NETS> Tribute to Olikoye Ransome Kuti
  • From: A Odutola <chpss_abo@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 16:22:34 -0400 (EDT)

Tribute to Olikoye Ransome Kuti
-------------------------------

Late Professor Olikoye Ransome Kuti evokes many highly complimentary
eulogies. My most lasting impressions of him were formed thirty years
ago. To me, he was spectacularly humorous. He often used his gift of
humour cautiously to mitigate the stress of adversity and tragedy.
These are two situations that are often encountered in child health-
care in the tropics. Perhaps if he wrote his epitaph, he would have
simply said; ?Doctor well done, you have killed me.?

Kuti as he was fondly called was a tireless child doctor who always
had a simple but outcome-centered approach to child healthcare. He
also had the magical skill for cannulating the most teeny-weeny veins
in the most teeny-weeny babies. These are fantastic traits in one in-
dividual: Acceptable sense of humour in the face of tragedy and ad-
versity, Simplicity, High intellect and Great professional skills.

Regarding his impact on Nigeria?s health system, the jury will be out
there for a while.

May his gentle soul rest in perfect peace.

A. Odutola
Centre for Health Policy & Strategic Studies
Lagos, Nigeria
mailto:chpss_abo@yahoo.com
--
To send a message to AFRO-NETS, write to: afro-nets@healthnet.org