[afro-nets] Thomas Adeoye Lambo,former WHO DDG... (6)

  • Subject: [afro-nets] Thomas Adeoye Lambo,former WHO DDG... (6)
  • From: Emmanuel Otolorin <eotolorin@jhpiego.net>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 13:16:39 -0500
  • Cc: Joseph Ana <nmf.nmf@virgin.net>, Mustak Kothia <MKothia@bmjgroup.com>, Prof Idris Mohammed <IIdrisMohammed@netscape.net>, michael ibom <ebong@justice.com>, Richard Smith <RSmith@bmj.com>, hif-net@who.int, prince ana <anaprince@yahoo.com>, Baba Mallam Gana <ganabm@hotmail.com>, agwuno@yahoo.com

Thomas Adeoye Lambo, former WHO DDG and psychiatrist is dead (6)

Dear Nigerian colleagues in diaspora,

As a follow-up to my initial comment, I think we need additional
information about the process adopted for late Prof. Lambo's
care. What I will like to know is whether the National Hospital
in Abuja (or indeed any of our University Teaching Hospitals)
was informed about his illness and was given the opportunity to
provide critical care for him. Even though, I do not have all
the facts, I suspect that the decision to fly him out was due to
a lack of confidence in ALL (emphasis mine) of our tertiary
health institutions. Perhaps, the family decided (based on in-
formation about the current status of these institutions) not to
bother about visiting any of them. We are all familiar with the
problems/delay in providing critical care, shortage of special-
ized equipment, shortage of basic supplies and of the appropri-
ate human resources to provide such care.

As a former Medical Director of one of Nigeria's tertiary health
institutions and a participant at the grandiose opening of the
National Hospital in Abuja, I must say that I feel really disap-
pointed. The National Hospital, at inception, was indeed a Cen-
tre of Excellence that offered hope for the future. It had
state-of-the-art equipment installed and was indeed purpose
built. That was about 7 years ago. What was lacking at the time,
was a conducive working environment to attract the highly
skilled and experienced Nigerians providing similar services in
Europe, the Americas and Saudi Arabia to come and run the out-
fit. A few who responded to the call to return were frustrated
by numerous factors, some of which were political. Hopefully
things have improved. If so, the general public need to know.

The National Hospital must sell itself to Nigerians to restore
confidence in the appellation "The Pinnacle of Health Care De-
livery in Nigeria". In the long-term, all of our teaching hospi-
tals should be brought up to the same level. No one can predict
who will need critical care services and when. To "Be Prepared"
should be a public health concept and not just the motto of the
Boys Scouts brigade.

'Dipo Otolorin
mailto:eotolorin@jhpiego.net