[afro-nets] Bulgarian Medics Infect Children with HIV Virus (4)

  • Subject: [afro-nets] Bulgarian Medics Infect Children with HIV Virus (4)
  • From: Adamu Ayuba <adamu@abujanig.org>
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 07:42:24 -0700 (PDT)

Bulgarian Medics Infect Children with HIV Virus (4)

[From the moderator:
I assume Mark's and Ina's response were especially referring to
the second part of the original message:
> This reduces the blame (if any) on the Kano State Medical offi-
> cials that refused the polio vaccines used in their state. And
> tries to validate the cry against Procter and Gamble infecting
> women with HIV through Sanitary Towels in Maiduguri some years.
D.N. Mod.]

Ina Rothmann, you are indeed right, so also is J. Mark Adams.

Refer to the following link(s)/report as carried in the news.
Tell me after that if it is still the propaganda you think. I am
not a Libyan or Arab. I am Christian Nigerian, who thinks if the
story is true it is worth condemning by the millions of people
that are fighting the scourge. But silence greeted the news and
am surprised by that.

A life is a life where ever it is and the protection of such
should be of priority, whether it is of an Arab, Ugandan, Ruwan-
dan, or any of the Western Nations.

I am also sending you an e-mail copy from the site itself.

Adamu Ayuba
mailto:adamu@abujanig.org

--
http://allafrica.com/stories/200405070249.html
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/3689355.stm

Libya to Execute 7 Foreign Health Workers
Vanguard (Lagos)

May 7, 2004
Posted to the web May 7, 2004

Libya has sentenced five Bulgarian nurses and a Palestinian doc-
tor to death by firing squad for deliberately infecting some 400
children with HIV.

Prosecutors demanded the death penalty, claiming the accused
gave patients HIV in a bid to find an Aids cure.

The medics, who worked at a children's hospital in the city of
Benghazi, were arrested five years ago.

Bulgaria's government, which had been lobbying for their re-
lease, condemned the "unfair and absurd" verdicts.

The Libyan court found the six health workers guilty of having
caused the death of 40 children and of infecting almost 400 oth-
ers with HIV.

Another Bulgarian, Dr Zdravko Georgiev, was initially reported
to have received the death penalty but has in fact been given a
four-year sentence and may be released soon, Bulgaria's ambassa-
dor to Libya said.

Nine Libyans who worked at the same hospital were acquitted.

The courtroom in Benghazi was surrounded by 100 armed police,
Bulgaria's BTA news agency reported.

Inside it was packed to capacity, with 15 foreign diplomats
among those attending the session which was the culmination of a
trial stopped and started several times over the years. At one
point, the Libyan leader, Colonel Muammar Gaddafi, had accused
the health workers of acting on orders from the CIA and the Is-
raeli secret service, Mossad.

Libya later rowed back on this allegation.

The medics had always protested their innocence and said they
had been tortured by the police, with daily beatings, sexual as-
sault and electric shocks.

They called expert witnesses, including one of the team which
discovered the Aids virus, who said this was an epidemic caused
by poor hygiene at the hospital, not by any international con-
spiracy.

Western diplomats say the prosecutions arose because the au-
thorities simply needed someone to blame for a tragedy which
caused outrage in Libya.

With Col Gaddafi recently moving to improve Libya's interna-
tional standing, Bulgaria had hoped the court would be lenient.

"I'm shocked by the verdicts...We're not going to accept them,"
said Bulgarian Justice Minister Anton Stankov.

The government in Sofia is calling for a strong reaction from
the international community.

The European Union has already voiced its extreme concern.

Bulgaria's parliamentary speaker, Ognyan Gerdzhikov, said he was
confident the death sentences would not be carried out.

"I expect Gaddafi to act like a humanist to win certain politi-
cal credit, which he needs from public opinion," he told Bulgar-
ian radio.

But relatives of the infected children were celebrating.

"The verdict is fair. What they did is a crime against humanity.
They planted a bomb inside our children," Ramdane Ali Mohamed,
whose sister died of AIDS, told Reuters.