[afro-nets] Church Leaders to Mobilize against HIV/AIDS...(5)

  • Subject: [afro-nets] Church Leaders to Mobilize against HIV/AIDS...(5)
  • From: Edward C Green <EGreendc@aol.com>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 11:16:57 EDT

Peter Burgess wrote:
> "I am sure there are many who know much more about these is-
> sues in detail than I do, and I would be pleased to learn more
> from the experts in this area."

Peter Burgess has posted many good things over the years. I hope
he will read my monograph:

Green, E.C. Faith-Based Organizations: Contributions to HIV Pre-
vention. Washington, D.C.: USAID/Washington and The Synergy Pro-
ject, TvT Associates, Washington, D.C. (Sept. 2003).
http://www.synergyaids.com/resources.asp?id=4893

It comes down to this: if you believe that the condom (supple-
mented by drugs) is the only thing that works in AIDS prevention
(and there is a billion dollar industry that wants you to be-
lieve this), then "the only good priest is the one who promotes
condoms." If on the other hand you believe that Africans and
others are capable of limiting numbers of sexual partners and
delaying the age of first sex, than obviously faith-based or-
ganizations (FBOs) of whatever religion have a central role to
play in promoting these behaviours.

At this point, the defenders of status quo AIDS prevention want
you believe that involving FBOs would lead to stigmatization,
marginalization and alienation. Yet consider: Uganda has in-
volved FBOs in AIDS prevention to a grater extent than any other
African country, and the result has been less, rather than more
AIDS-associated stigma.

So I have always said: follow the example of Uganda, Senegal,
Thailand, Jamaica and the Dominican Republic and involve FBOs in
AIDS prevention. (Each of those countries can be considered an
AIDS success story). FBOs then become part of the solution
rather than, possibly, part of the problem.

By the way, Peter, I have quoted 2 of your AFRO-NETS postings in
my book "Rethinking AIDS Prevention":
http://www.greenwood.com/books/BookDetail.asp?dept_id=1&sku=T316&imprintID=

Edward C Green
Harvard Center for Population and Development Studies
School of Public Health, Harvard University
mailto:EGreendc@aol.com