[afro-nets] The day of African Child... What are parent's responsibility?

  • Subject: [afro-nets] The day of African Child... What are parent's responsibility?
  • From: Peter Bujari <dr_bujari@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 22:13:30 -0700 (PDT)

The day of African Child... What are parent's responsibility?

Hallo there!

Today is the day of African child, where parents should give
chance to their children to voice out, love them and the like...

My interest today is reminding parents that they have responsi-
bilities to their children, and I will urge my fellow parents to
consider the followings facts from the available data:

1. 56% of people testing HIV positive at the VCT facility in
Tanzania are married (most likely with children).

2. At least 29% of married men have extra marital relationship.

3. At least 7% of married women have extramarital relationship.

4. Orphans in Tanzania are estimated to be over 2.5 million.

5. Out of the orphans estimated 45% are heading house hold.

6. Life expectancy by 2010 is estimated to be 47 years as op-
posed to estimated 56 years without AIDS, meaning we will leave
our children very young.

It is important for each of us to get to the grip with this re-
ality and identify his/her position. Working with different com-
munities one finds out that we often do not think about the fate
of our children when taking risk!

My message to day is that ALL PARENTS SHOULD THINK ABOUT THEIR
FAMILIES WHEN TAKING RISKS ESPECIALLY NOW TO HIV.

My second appeal to children is that more often than not when
they voice out, they demand for their rights, not mentioning
their responsibility. I wish to say that while children have
rights they are demanding, parents and guardian should help them
to understand each right is ascribed to a responsibility.

Hope we all enjoy this day for the betterment of our families.

Sincerely,
Peter

--
Dr.P.S. Bujari,(MD Dar)