[afro-nets] PCR screening for syphilis... (3)

  • Subject: [afro-nets] PCR screening for syphilis... (3)
  • From: Wouter Arrazola de Onate <Wouter@health.uem.mz>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 12:07:19 +0200

PCR screening for syphilis... (3)
---------------------------------

Dear colleagues,

An interesting article indeed.

Is anybody aware of any interaction of latent Syphilis with HSV-2?

And I agree with John, we need affordable and applicable options
for the countries that most suffer from Syphilis and HIV. Work-
ing in Mozambique in STI-research, I know there's only 1 labora-
tory in the country that's able to perform PCR at this moment.

Syphilis in pregnant women in the province of Tete is said to be
around 16% and HIV-prevalence in the central region of the coun-
try is 16,7%.

Kind regards,

Wouter Arrazola de Onate, MD
International Centre for Reproductive Health
Field Coordinator Mozambique
Universidade Eduardo Mondlane - Universidade da Ghent
Faculdade de Medicina
Av. Salvador Allende
Maputo, Mozambique
Cellular: +258-82-768235