[afro-nets] Call for Nominations - Oak Fellowship on Health & Human Rights

  • Subject: [afro-nets] Call for Nominations - Oak Fellowship on Health & Human Rights
  • From: Ken Rodman <karodman@colby.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 11:49:30 -0400
  • Cc:

Call for Nominations - Oak Fellowship on Health & Human Rights

Dear Colleagues,

I am the Director of the Oak Institute for the Study of Interna-
tional Human Rights at Colby College and I would like to solicit
your assistance in our annual search for the Oak Human Rights
Fellow, which is targeted this year for someone working in the
area of HEALTH AND HUMAN RIGHTS.

I have copied the announcement below. You can also access it at
http://www.colby.edu/oak

Each year, we host a human rights professional doing on-the-
ground work at some level of personal risk and organize a lec-
ture series around his or her area of expertise. The purpose of
the fellowship is to offer activists a respite from their work
and spend a semester as a scholar-in-residence at the College,
exposing campus community to the issues surrounding the human
rights issues on which the Fellow works.

In conducting our annual search, we rely heavily on nominations
from NGOs, academics, journalists, and human rights lawyers,
since these are the people most likely to know of the work of
on-the-ground professionals.

Since you and your organization has been active in working on
human rights issues, I would like your assistance in disseminat-
ing the announcement to your membership. You should also feel
free to nominate anyone or forward the announcement to anyone in
the field who could help us.

Whatever assistance you might provide would be greatly appreci-
ated. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to get back to
me. Thank you in advance.

Ken Rodman
mailto:karodman@colby.edu

OAK FELLOWSHIP ANNOUNCEMENT

The Oak Institute for the Study of International Human Rights
annually hosts an Human Rights Fellow to teach and conduct re-
search while at residence in the College and organizes lectures
and other events centered around the fellow's area of expertise.

The purpose of the fellowship is to offer an opportunity for
prominent practitioners in international human rights to take a
sabbatical leave from their work and spend a period of up to a
semester as a scholar-in-residence at the College. This provides
the Fellow time for reflection, research, and writing. While all
human rights practitioners are eligible, we especially encourage
applications from those who are currently or were recently in-
volved in "on-the-ground" work at some level of personal risk.

The Oak Fellow's responsibilities include regular meetings with
students either through formal classes or informal discussion
groups and assistance in shaping a lecture series or symposium
associated with the particular aspect of human rights of inter-
est to the fellow. The fellow also is expected to participate in
the intellectual life of the campus and enable our students to
work or study with a professional in the human rights field.

The Fellow will receive a stipend and College fringe benefits,
plus round-trip transportation from the fellow's home site,
housing for a family, use of a car, and meals on campus. The
Fellow will also receive research support, including office
space, secretarial support, computer and library facilities, and
a student assistant. The Fellowship is awarded for the fall se-
mester (Sept.-Dec.) each year. Following the period of the
award, the fellow is expected to return to her or his human
rights work.

For the fall of 2005, the Oak Institute seeks a human rights
practitioner working on health-related human rights issues. Pos-
sible areas of expertise may include, but are not limited to:
HIV-AIDS, the rehabilitation of torture victims, the treatment
of refugees or the victims of landmines, forensic anthropology,
combating unsafe health and sanitary conditions, women's health
issues, and infant malnutrition and mortality. The successful
candidate should have some background in the health sciences or
related fields. For more information, see our website at:
http://www.colby.edu/oak

--
Prof. Kenneth A. Rodman
Department of Government