[afro-nets] Promoting the Social Vaccine against HIV/AIDS (7)

  • From: Bradford McIntyre <bradford@positivelypositive.ca>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 08:40:44 -0800

Promoting the Social Vaccine against HIV/AIDS (7)

We know many of our youth are having sex and will have sex in
the future. To teach abstinence without including education on
the need for a condom and how to use a condom will lead to more
HIV and STD infections. Education is the key!

Around the world the use of condoms is seen as a trusted weapon
in the prevention of HIV infection. However, these efforts are
often hampered by religious beliefs.

President Bush has clearly given preferential treatment by pro-
viding funding to HIV/AIDS groups and organizations which pro-
mote abstinence, over those promoting the use of condoms! Steven
Sinding, director general of the International Planned Parent-
hood Federation says "Condoms will remain key preventive tools
for many, many years to come. The U.S. policy of emphasizing ab-
stinence is a serious setback to the AIDS control effort".

The Pope refuses to recognize the harm the Catholic Church is
causing with it's refusal to promote condom use in the preven-
tion of HIV and AIDS. HIV+ individuals have even been told by
Priests and Nuns that they should not use condoms.

At the 2004 International AIDS Conference in Bangkok, Thailand,
Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni said "In some cultures sexual
intercourse is so elaborate that condoms are a hindrance. Let
the condom be used by people who cannot abstain, cannot be
faithful or are estranged".

Condoms may not be preferred but the reality is they are now
necessary. The use of condoms saves lives and condoms work to
prevent the further spread of HIV!

Everyone working to promote abstinence as a method of preventing
HIV infection should have to include education on the need for a
condom and how to use a condom! Condoms prevent HIV infection!

We know that individuals who are told they must refrain from sex
or make pledges of abstinence that they are very often ill pre-
pared and a condom is not used when they do engage in sex. They
become infected!

We also know that we cannot rely on the pledge of fidelity! Many
women and men who considered themselves to be in a monogamous
relationship were infected by their spouse. This is clearly evi-
dent now with the increase of HIV infections among married
women. Knowledge of and the use of a condom is necessary in re-
lationships!

Responsible sexual conduct means using a condom and if this is
not being taught then many more people will be infected with
HIV.

We will not see change in the HIV/AIDS pandemic until the use of
condoms are a standard practice for all!

--
Bradford McIntyre, HIV+ 20 years
Vancouver, Canada