[afro-nets] AIDS Patients Surpass ARVs (2)

  • From: Africa Youth Ministries - Uganda <aym@infocom.co.ug>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 19:18:44 +0300

AIDS Patients Surpass ARVs (2)
------------------------------

Dear Forum,

Greetings. Keep this reality discussion in motion. I am involved
in community based projects helping and caring for PLWHA. We
have a presence in Rakai District where the 1st HIV case was
identified in Uganda in 1982, equally the District has been
badly devastated by the AIDS epidemic.

Apparently, the confirmed & tested number of people living with
AIDS in the District are 60,000 but only 500 people out 60,000
are receiving ARV's. Worse to note, the people who are on ARV's
cannot afford the minimum required nutrition support for people
on ARV's, and further the available clinics for ARV's support
adults only, neglecting children who are HIV positive. In Rakai
District the number of Children who are HIV positive are just
too many.

We have visited various families where the fathers and mothers
have been living with the HIV virus for over 10 years but they
have never stopped to produce children. You will find they have
had about 5 children since they got infected and all these chil-
dren are HIV positive. Which means there are more children liv-
ing with HIV/AIDS than adults. You may visit our web site on the
situation in Rakai at http://www.aymu.org/plw.htm

Yours,

Albert Kunihira
Country Director
Africa Youth Ministries
P.O. Box 20029, Kampala, Uganda
Tel: +256-71-200009/77-200902/+256-39-200009 Office
Fax: +256-41-251060
mailto:admin@aymu.org or
mailto:Albert@aymu.org
http://www.aymu.org