[afro-nets] Mosquito/Malaria Control (3)

  • From: John Arube Wani <arube@chdc-muk.com>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 12:19:58 +0300

Mosquito/Malaria Control (3)
----------------------------

Dear Bill,

Thank you for sharing with us about the consensus reached at the
University of North Carolina conference, that recognised that a
properly conducted mosquito abatement programme could have a
dramatic impact on the incidence of malaria. Once again, I want
to state I am just an interested public health worker, much in-
terested in effective control of malaria, that is killing mil-
lions of our people, unwontedly! Such control methods must ulti-
mately of course, be acceptable to the people.

I remember the invitation by 'brother' Dr. Somah Syrulwa for
Uganda to attend that conference, but we had no funds to support
a trip. I shared the invitation with Dr. Myers Lugemwa who I
tried to connect to Dr. Syrulwa, but at the time was busy on a
study on DDT in the western part of our country. Please share
some of your findings with our scientists who have just con-
cluded the study. It is high time our own scientists came up
with our own solutions, to enable government undertake informed
decisions for the good of our people. It would be good to com-
plement more cost-effective methods of control, in order to
achieve what you called, 'a much more satisfactory outcome'.
From my observation, bednets have not in any significant way
abated the incidence of malaria in our country.

Sincerely,

John Arube Wani
Child Health and Development Centre
Makerere University Medical School