[afro-nets] Mosquito/Malaria Control (28)

  • From: Isaac Kigozi <kigoziisaac76@yahoo.co.uk>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 07:10:14 +0100 (BST)

Mosquito/Malaria Control (28)
-----------------------------

Hehehe, Kris that was a good one.....!

However back to the main issue I still insist like some others
have already said that there is need of a multi pronged approach
to the malaria problem in Africa, bednets, larvicidals, spraying
and whatever; but lets start with protecting the most vulnerable
groups which is the women and children... and these ones most
definitely get bit at night... lets not get sidetracked into
discussing when and how the mosquitoes biting habits may change.
I have seen so many kids die from malaria who could have been
saved by availability of effective affordable medication and
even a few preventive measures.

In Africa, where I live, I really wonder which area you would
spray... I really wonder! Maybe Bill could give us an idea of
where and how much insecticide would be needed and which compa-
nies would benefit from the efforts.

" As for me and my house"... to quote from Joshua in the Bible I
will stick to tried and tested methods, avoiding bites with ap-
propriate clothing and repellents, sleeping under a treated net
and having timely treatment of any of the parasites that get
through this barricade with EFFECTIVE antimalarials.

I have witnessed improvement in the quality of peoples live
while using these three methods and I have seen reduced morbid-
ity and mortality in families using nets with the help of these
observations I have no problem choosing what I will use... I
will wait till the population becomes majority urban before I
start advocating for spraying as the main means of control of
malaria

Dr Isaac Michael Kigozi
National Drug Authority, Uganda
Plot 46-48 Lumumba Avenue