[afro-nets] Mosquito/Malaria Control (35)

  • From: Bill Nesler <sdbc@hur.midco.net>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 08:24:21 -0500

Mosquito/Malaria Control (35)
-----------------------------

Dr Kigozi,

I have lived through several bouts with malaria and my wife
nearly died from an attack of falciparum that was resistant to
all the drugs.

As I have stated here in the past, what we are proposing is a
multi-pronged attack. This is patterned after the methodologies
used in the southern USA for the last 60-70 years with the con-
sequent complete eradication of endemic malaria. There is no
reason the same methods can't be applied to tropical Africa.

We are proposing beginning operations in Monrovia, Liberia.
There is probably no location on Earth with a higher incidence
of malaria. This is due to the 15,000 acres of swamp in the cen-
ter of the city. The insecticides to be used on a project such
as this would consist of organo-phosphates, pyrethroids, insect
larva growth regulators and larva specific bacteria. The adulti-
cides would be applied at rates of about 1/2 ounce per acre,
initially about three times a month. Once control is gained of
the Monrovian mosquito population the project becomes one of
maintenance, based on insect monitoring.

There is really nothing mysterious or experimental about this.
All I can say is to do you own research into the activities of
mosquito control districts in the USA, Europe, Australia, etc.

Bill Nesler
mailto:sdbc@hur.midco.net