[afro-nets] Mosquito/Malaria Control (36)

  • From: Bill Nesler <sdbc@hur.midco.net>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 11:26:50 -0500

Mosquito/Malaria Control (36)
-----------------------------

Hi Tom,

Believe it or not, I agree with most of what you have to say. To
begin, I may have mispoken about the proper application of bed-
nets. The proper use prevents the mosquito from contracting the
parasite and, as you said, "an extremely important outcome."
Your other concerns are the same things that we address in our
proposals. The team that has been put together has long experi-
ence in insect control operations, both on the ground and by
air. We have long experience in Africa and understand the inher-
ent problems with logistics. Our entomological team would take
the lead in monitoring and recommending timing and locations to
be treated. Our proposals are many pronged: aerial ULV, ground
ULV, larvaciding, IRS, source reduction and public education.
This is all stuff that has been done in the US for decades. I
would suggest researching the current operations in Darwin, Aus-
tralia (a tropical location).

Bill Nesler
mailto:sdbc@hur.midco.net