[afro-nets] Kill Malarial Mosquitoes NOW! (9)

  • From: Jeff Buderer <jeff@onevillage.biz>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 23:03:00 -0600

Kill Malarial Mosquitoes NOW! (9)
---------------------------------

Just a quick note on this subject. The scientist Jared Diamond
recently did a US public television series on his theory and
book (Guns, Germs and Steel http://www.pbs.org/gunsgermssteel/)
about modern (western) civilization. Interestingly one of the
things he touched on is malaria.

Ironically enough the pre-industrial civilizations of Africa
seemed to deal with the problem of malaria much more effectively
than their Western aided contemporaries simply because they de-
signed their societies out of respect for nature. Therefore they
settled their communities on high places, on top of hills rather
than in low valleys. This was lost on the colonists who sought
to impose Western technologies and methodologies that worked
well in temperate climates (Europe US Japan even China) but not
so well in tropical areas.

In the US recently we were with the realization that our own ar-
rogant disregard and disrespect of nature can heavy a devastat-
ing impact - one of our largest cities was basically destroyed.
I suggest that we see the problem as not so much malaria or
mother nature out of control but rather a result of our inabil-
ity to thoughtfully and sustainably design our built environ-
ments.

Jeff Buderer
mailto:jeff@onevillage.biz