[afro-nets] Roy Innis on malaria (19)

  • From: "George Kent" <kent@hawaii.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 07:19:51 -1000

Roy Innis on malaria (19)
-------------------------

Thank you Jeff. This sort of conversation helps us to think, collectively, about the way forward.

I am increasingly convinced that we need to put much more attention on serious strategic planning for dealing with the issues. In about a month I will be going to South Africa to work with an NGO on its Human Rights Development Initiative. Its participants are students from law clinics throughout Africa. I will ask them, collectively, to think about what could be done to strengthen the human right to adequate food throughout Africa. I will ask them to look at what could be done not only in individual countries, but also regionally and globally. That is, part of their question will be: what are the obligations of the global community, taken as a whole, with regard to malnutrition in Africa?

One could readily substitute "malaria" or "HIV/AIDS" or a number of other concerns where I have spoken of "malnutrition." I think we need to look beyond the immediate technical and clinical manifestations of our concerns and ask how we can come to grips with these things as a matter of governance, locally, nationally, regionally, and globally. Who should carry what responsibilities? How do we get effective partnerships working across all these levels?

To me, this all adds up to solid, collective, serious strategic planning.

Aloha, George
mailto:kent@hawaii.edu