[afro-nets] Food for a thought whose time has come (4)

  • From: "George Kent" <kent@hawaii.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 21:23:20 -1000

Food for a thought whose time has come (4)

I recommend that you visit the website of the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights, at: http://www.ohchr.org/english/ If you read the international human rights agreements that are provided there, you will learn exactly what human rights are. They were hammered out through long hard negotiations among the nations of the world, and many of the agreements were signed and ratified by most countries after long, hard deliberations.

In the circles in which I work, where people are well informed about the global human rights system, it is simply not true that "human rights mean different things to different people". Of course there are debates around the edges, as in any healthy legal system, but the core is very solid and clear.

Yes, there are many violations of human rights. That is precisely why we support and work to strengthen the human rights system.

Aloha, George
mailto:kent@hawaii.edu