[afro-nets] Software to manage data and needs of people on antiretroviral treatment (4)

  • From: "Peter Burgess" <profitinafrica@gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 09:49:56 -0500

Software to manage data and needs of people on antiretroviral treatment (4)

Dear Hilbrand Haak, Colleagues

This is an important subject. However, it is very disappointing how weak the data dimension is in the management of the HIV-AIDS crisis.

I would be very interested to learn more about the different systems that are presently being used, and in particular the metadata (information that defines the data elements) considered important.

I am an advocate for the use of open-source software ... but not for a wiki based system. The data needs to be in a form that can be easily analyzed and for this an old fashioned relational database system is a must. MySQL works well.

I would like to see common generally accepted metadata adopted ... and the use of an architecture that allows the local operation to have easy access to the information it needs, and a way to share some of the information on a common basis so that more macro data can be analyzed.

Part of the data should deal with inventory control, part should deal with the patient population, part should deal with costs and part should deal with the results. It should be possible to get some sort of performance measurement from this.

If anyone has information that relates to the management in data in this arena, I would be interested in learning more.

Sincerely

Peter Burgess

--
Peter Burgess
The Transparency and Accountability Network