[afro-nets] Software to manage data and needs of people on antiretroviral treatment (6)

  • From: "Peter Burgess" <profitinafrica@gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 10:59:57 -0500

Software to manage data and needs of people on antiretroviral treatment (6)

Dear Tunga

Thanks for the clarification. I have done a bit of Googling on openMRS and you are absolutely right. It is a relational database driven system with a client-server architecture.

The underlying data model seems at first glance to be quite complex ... as it probably has to be in order to be complete.

I am curious whether there is any "cost ... result" component in the openMRS system. While medical performance does not need to know anything about cost versus result ... as a practical matter money is a bigger determinant of health outcomes than medical science. Perhaps I should also add politics is also more important than science ... a really sad reality.

Some years ago I built a prototype client server architecture government accounting module using FoxPro (before it was bought by Microsoft and sidelined). It worked well ... but client server meant that the network had to be reliable and there also needed to be a good "database" administrator to keep everything going well. In the civil service a strong database administrator was not likely to be in the job long.

This was just prior to the booming of the Internet, and I have long thought that database administration for client server should be replaced by a web based applications service. But in much of the "south" the Internet is inaccessible or costly ... once again the "south" is stuck with only yesterday's high cost high maintenance options rather than what could be optimum in the 21st century.

Having said that ... I like what I can see of openMRS

Sincerely

Peter Burgess

--
Peter Burgess
The Transparency and Accountability Network