[afro-nets] PHM Global Right to Health and Health Care Campaign Update

  • From: "Claudio Schuftan" <claudio@hcmc.netnam.vn>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 13:56:28 +0700

PHM Global Right to Health and Health Care Campaign Update

Word is spreading about the PHM RTHCC and we are receiving inquiries from around the world.

We have received funding from NOVIB and Save the Children UK (Thank you!) to initiate the campaign in Africa and Latin America. There is another request pending for Asian countries.

We are in the process of identifying groups that are capable of organizing the campaign in various countries and formalizing our relationships with campaign committees. We have several countries each in Africa and the Americas that are actively starting to organize. There are many other countries with interest but that haven't coalesced into active committees yet. We will present the campaign at the upcoming PHM India National Health Assembly, International People's Health University and PHM Steering Group meetings, March 23-27 in Bhopal.

As countries are getting involved, we are translating the campaign documents. Currently, the Assessment Guide is available in English, Spanish and Portuguese. Several other translations are underway (French, Kiswahili and others).

In order to provide in-country training on the campaign itself, and to organize/strengthen local PHM circles, we are in the process of (for now) recruiting and training 4 organizers over the next month (2 for Africa and 2 for the Americas). During April, they will be visiting the campaign committees in the various countries to help them get organized and provide some training on the use of the Assessment Guide (to be found in www.phmovement.org) . Some of these committees are coming together in countries that do not have an active PHM circle. Where that is the case, we are requiring the formation of one. Each country will receive a small financial stipend to carry out the campaign on a 'first come first serve' basis until our current funds run out.
The countries that have expressed an interest and are organizing so far are: Argentina, Brasil, Chile, Ecuador, El Salvador, Peru, Mexico, Benin, Kenya, Malawi, South Africa, Tanzania, Uganda, Zimbabwe, Australia, Korea and the USA. If you know of people or organizations in these (or any other) countries who should be involved with the campaign and PHM, please do refer them to us.

Looking ahead, the assessment process should be underway from May to July, with country strategy meetings discussing the results and planning concrete lobbying and advocacy actions occuring in August. As we move into Phase II of the process towards the end of the year, we will move towardsorganizing and carrying out regional assemblies to discuss international level actions that support the national demands generated by the local campaigns.

We would like to thank those who have been working in many different ways on this project. As always, we welcome and need assistance in many areas, on both the national and global levels. If you are interested in getting involved, contact us and we will connect you to the others in your country who are getting organized. Help is especially needed with translation, fundraising, and with communications. Contact the core group if you can help in any of these.

In Solidarity,

Claudio Schuftan (claudio@hcmc.netnam.vn),
Laura Turiano (phm@turiano.org)
Campaign Coordinators