[afro-nets] Health Protectionomics: A New Science of People, Policy, and Politics

  • From: "Claudio Schuftan" <cschuftan@phmovement.org>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 16:22:43 +0700

Cross-posted from: EQUIDAD@listserv.paho.org

From: Ruggiero, Mrs. Ana Lucia (WDC) ruglucia@paho.org

Bravo CDC. Even with such a complicated title and with corporate sponsorship, better late than never (see underlined)
claudio

Health Protectionomics: A New Science of People, Policy, and Politics

George Washington University School of Public Health and Health Services
September 19, 2007

*Ruth Katz, Dean George Washington University School of Public Health and Health Services
Julie Gerberding, Director Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

* http://www.kaisernetwork.org/healthcast/gwu/19sep07

Pfizer is sponsoring the nine-part series as part of its Milestones in Public Health initiative.

".......We really are talking now about our role in health protection as one of two main frames of our work and we still mean prevention. We are still very much committed to the prevention of disease, injury an disability but we are also increasingly focusing on health promotion in a broader context of the things that promote and engender good health as well as preparedness, given the times and the requirement that we have for preparing against merging threats so these three P's, *promotion, prevention and preparedness*, are really a broader frame of our work at CDC.

.. The investments that congress and policy makers are making in us but they don't tell the whole story because whether we have ever made it explicit or it is just implicitly part of our hearts and our genes if you will, **there is another lane that we care as much about and that really is the whole concept of health equity**.

You didn't see it in our mission statement in the past but we are working our way to making this a very visible and prominent part of what we intend to accomplish at CDC and we haven't even quite settled on our organizational definition of health equity. Obviously it is the absence of disparity, however you define it, but equity brings into play a much broader dimension, the social context and the sense of justice and fairness that we all want to achieve for people who are trying to develop their optimal health status. So health protection, health equity really are the framework for CDC's work ...."

--
Claudio Schuftan
cschuftan@phmovement.org