[afro-nets] Reassessing HIV Prevention

  • From: "Richard G. Wamai" <rgwamai@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 10:14:42 -0700 (PDT)

Top US journal Science has an interesting policy paper out today. The paper, "Reassessing HIV Prevention", argues that most funding for HIV prevention is being spent on approaches that don't work in generalized epidemics (read sub-Saharan Africa) and that there is need for a major shift to those approaches that are demonstrated to work, namely male circumcision and reducing multiple concurrent partnerships/being faithful.

See Science news alert here: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/05/080508143313.htm
Several international media such BBC, the Times of London and Kaisernetwork have run news on the paper, for instance this piece in today's The Independent:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/circumcision-is-the-best-weapon-in-fight-against-aids-824587.html
Science has also posted a podcast in which lead author UC Berkeley's Malcolm Potts talks here:
http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/summary/320/5877/815b

As one of the authors, we hope the paper will raise more debate about HIV prevention approaches and especially in the right places where those policies and approaches we targeted are formulated and ultimately cause those changes as we have argued are definitely needed; but as we had said in an AP article in January it's difficult to turn the AIDS funding 'super tanker' because, unfortunately, many health policies are not made on the basis of scientific evidence.

Best regards,

--
Richard G. Wamai, Ph.D.
Department of Population and International Health,