[afro-nets] PHASA newsletter issue 2 of 2011

  • From: "Annette Gerritsen" <gerritsen.annette@gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 08:22:12 +0200

Public Health Association of South Africa: Newsletter issue 2 2011]

The central theme of this PHASA newsletter is climate (change) and health. We present to you two articles related to this theme: one on the role of the health sector in carbon reduction; and one on the role of social media in public health and climate change. In addition there are public health news items on this issue. Finally we give you news on PHASA itself; the articles of association are open for commenting; a report on the executive committee Lekgotla; and an update on the PHASA 2011 conference. We hope you will enjoy reading this newsletter, and please contact us if you would like to write a contribution for the following newsletter. And don’t forget to follow us on Twitter <http://twitter.com/#!/PublicHealthSA> and Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Phasa/184774801563417>

Regards,

The editorial team of phasa.org.za
------------------------------
Tackling climate change: Putting health at the heart of the action

The health impacts of climate change are well documented. The same is true of the impacts on basic human rights – food, water, shelter, safety, freedom and justice. It is nearly always the most disadvantaged people who are most vulnerable to climate-induced threats. If carbon reduction can be managed in an equitable way across the globe, with fair support for emerging economies, sustainable progress can be made whilst helping poorer countries achieve their Millennium Goals. This article discusses the role of the health sector in carbon reduction and the role of health professionals as advocates for greener healthcare and lifestyles.

Read article<http://www.phasa.org.za/?p=541&utm_source=issue-02-11&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=phasa>
------------------------------
Social Media: revolutionizing public health and climate change

Public Health and climate change in sub Saharan Africa are at a crossroads; one cannot progress without the other but we continue to be blinded by this fact at our peril. Today, there is no other solution other than tackling the growing urgency - of the public health climate change manifold crisis – by looking at more innovative solutions to enhance social discourse. Everyone can and should take part in changing their future today. Facebook, Twitter and all the other Web 2.0 social media are a growing medium for many concerned citizens who feel enraged and empowered enough to take action against poor leadership.

Read article<http://www.phasa.org.za/?p=535&utm_source=issue-02-11&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=phasa>
------------------------------
Public Health News

- Newsletter Climate and Health
<http://www.phasa.org.za/?p=550&utm_source=issue-02-11&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=phasa>
- Africa needs to deal with health impacts of climate
change<http://www.phasa.org.za/?p=548&utm_source=issue-02-11&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=phasa>
- African Young Scientists Initiative on Climate Change and Indigenous
Knowledge<http://www.phasa.org.za/?p=546&utm_source=issue-02-11&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=phasa>

------------------------------
PHASA News

- PHASA exec Lekgotla 2011
report<http://www.phasa.org.za/?p=552&utm_source=issue-02-11&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=phasa>
- PHASA conference 2011 Update
May<http://www.phasa.org.za/?p=557&utm_source=issue-02-11&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=phasa>
- Articles of Association now open for commenting<http://www.phasa.org.za/?p=494&utm_source=issue-02-11&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=phasa>

[image: RSS] <http://www.phasa.org.za/feed>
[image:Facebook]<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Phasa/184774801563417>
[image: Twitter] <http://twitter.com/#!/PublicHealthSA>
[image: PHASA] <http://www.phasa.org.za/> [image: PHASA conference 2011]<http://www.phasaconference.org.za/> [image: protex] <http://stage.globalhandwashing.org/about> This online newsletter is developed by Red earth web design <http://www.redearthwebdesign.com/>

--
Dr. Annette Gerritsen, epidemiologist
Epi Result www.epiresult.com