[afro-nets] The Same Sex Bill passed by Nigerian Senate (27)

  • From: "Oladele Ogunseitan" <oladele.ogunseitan@uci.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2012 12:58:26 -0800

Greetings,

The most disturbing aspect of the opinions that have been presented by Nigerians who support the Nigerian legislation on homosexuality is the claim that "it is foreign to our culture" and "Christian values." There is nothing indigenous about "Christian values" in Nigeria, as the missionaries who introduced these religious values are "foreigners" and indeed, the values are "second hand" having originated from the Middle East.

These opinions would have been better informed by traditional African spiritual values, including Yoruba values which are vastly more tolerant than any of the "global" foreign religions that are instigating violent intolerance in Nigeria.

On both moral, religious, human rights, and particularly public health grounds, we should all fight to overturn the Nigerian legislation against homosexuality. It is retrogressive and an embarrassment for a country with such great potentials.

Best wishes for the new year.

--
Oladele A. Ogunseitan, PhD, MPH
Professor of Public Health