Research Methodology Training Course (RMTC)
|Event Details||Centre for Social Science and Medicine (SOSMED) in collaboration with the Institute of Public Health, University of Dar es Salaam|
The Centre for Social Science and Medicine in collaboration with the Institute of Public Health University of Dar es Salaam, is offering a three-week Research Methodology training course for people involved in health research and health related activities. The objective of this course is to equip/strengthen the research capacity of participants in order to facilitate development of a holistic approach to health related problems in developing countries.
Specifically upon successful completion of the course graduates will be able to:
* Understand the relevance of social science and medicine in issues of health in Africa.
* Acquire knowledge and skills in generating health related data that can in fluence decisions at local level.
* Design and conduct relevant priority research in health.
* Perform appropriate data analysis interpret the findings and make appropriate recommendations.
* Disseminate research findings through appropriate means to various audiences.
RMTC will cover the following areas of study:
* Research proposal development;
* Integrated Quantitative and Qualitative Research methods;
* Data processing, analysis, presentation and interpretation, this includes the use of computers in data analysis;
* Dissemination of research findings;
* Research ethics.
The training process will follow the format of research proposal development and implementation starting with problem identification through the different stages. The process will emphasize the integration of qualitative and quantitative research techniques. Topics will be introduced through lectures followed by discussions and group presentations where necessary. In and out of class practical sessions will complement the theory. The medium of instruction will be English.
In order to facilitate maximum concentration and working beyond official hours by the participants, the RMTC will be a residential course and will be conducted in Dar es Salaam.
* The course is open to people who are engaged in health related activities these include but not limited to: Members of the regional or district health management team, health planners, medical and dental officers, assistant medical officers, district planning personnel, health officers, social welfare workers, DMO's, health project coordinators or other personnel working in health related interventions.
* Academic and non-academic staff of institutions of higher learning involved in health related research or who intend to carry out research in health related fields.
The total cost of the course is US$ 1,370, which is broken down as follows:
* Tuition fees US$ 770
* Accommodation for 21 days US$ 300
* Out of pocket allowance for 21 days US$ 300
The course organizers will make accommodation arrangements, to allow for adequate interaction for completion of assigned tasks.
Further information about the course can be obtained from the course director:
Course Director (SOSMED RMTC 2002)
PO Box 65015
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania